Vandergrift Park

8th & York Streets on Germantown Avenue

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.58.15 PM-min.png

Park History


1942 Land Use Map¹


Philadelphia Inquirer²

On June 13th of 1920 a new Philadelphia recreational park was dedicated by the name of Vandergrift Centre. The opening and dedication ceremony took place in the afternoon with nearly 1500 children in attendance. The ceremony was followed by a parade led by the community’s children and other neighborhood civic organizations².

The park is located across from St. Edward’s School and adjacent to Hartranft Community Center. The triangular green space provides its community members with a fenced in and shaded seating area.

Works Cited

¹ Philadelphia Land Use Map, 1942, Plans & Registry Division, Bureau of Engineering Surveys & Zoning, Department of Public Works, Federal Works Progress Administration for Pennsylvania, the Athenaeum of Philadelphia, 1942, interactive map,

² June 13, 1920 (page 21 of 88). (1920, Jun 13). Philadelphia Inquirer (1860-1934) Retrieved from