The Good & Plenty Factory
2136 Germantown Avenue
A Forgotten Past
Origins of Good & Plenty
The name comes from a brand of liquorice first produced by the Quaker City Confectionery Company of Philadelphia in 1893. It is believed that Good & Plenty, created by Lester Rosskam, is the oldest-existing branded candy in the United States. People who grew up in the decade of the 50s and 60s fondly remember “Choo-Choo Charlie”, the mascot of the Good and Plenty candy.
Warner-Lambert purchased Quaker City in 1973 and sold it to Leaf Candy Company, owned by Beatrice Foods, in 1982. By 1996, with the purchase of Leaf Candy to Hersheys, the factory was left vacant. An arsonist set fire to the building in 2008, and today no remains of the Good & Plenty Factory exist.
“Sweet Memories.” In “Philadelphia Memories,” May 2, 2019. Accessed April 8 2019. http://www.joesherlock.com/Philly11.html#Good_and_Plenty
“The Secret Life of Choo-Choo Charlie.” True Treats Historic Candy, March 27, 2014. https://www.truetreatscandy.com/the-secret-life-of-choo-choo-charlie/.